17 Jan 2010

layered agar agar (燕菜糕)

Layers and layers and layers

Agar agar, probably my most favourite type of jelly I've ever eaten. I have ate this year after year after year but never attempted to make it. I asked my mum for the recipe last Sunday and since it was so easy, I decided to layer it with two colours.

The recipe itself was passed down from my grandma to my mum and then to me, so it's probably a very reliable recipe :)

Coconut milk and agar agar powder

***

layered agar agar
(coconut and milo flavour)

ingredients:
makes around 2 litres
size depends on moulds
  • 8 cups of water
  • 1 can of coconut milk (400 mL)
  • white sugar, to taste
    (I used around 1 cup)
  • 1 packet of agar agar powder (25 g)
    (agar agar is also known as kanten)
  • 1/2 cup Milo powder
method:
1. Heat the water until boiling, stir in the agar agar powder. Stir until the agar agar is dissolved.
2. Pour in the coconut milk and stir consistently. When the liquid is at boiling point, turn off heat.
3. Divide liquid into half and add milo powder to one half. Stir until the colour is even.
4. Pour a thin layer of brown or white liquid into a few moulds and put into fridge to cool. In approximately 2 minutes, the liquid will set.
5. When the liquid becomes firm to the touch, pour in another thin layer of the other colour and place in the fridge to cool.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until there is no more liquid left.
One of the moulds I used

You can use any moulds you like, just make sure they can sustain heat.