As a substitution, I made cut out cookies using HHB's recipe. Hers is much tastier, crunchier and looks better than mine, however takes more time than the one I used at school. I was thinking of frosting these, but I changed my mind. I like it plain and not so sweet.
basic cut out cookies
adapted from HHB's pooh and piglet cut out cookies
later edited by me
150 degrees Celsius
makes approximately 35
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- 80 grams sugar
(it's more crunchy that using caster, I think)
- 1 egg yolk
- 180 grams plain flour, sifted
- 20 grams corn flour, sifted
- water, if necessary
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk in the egg yolk and mix well.
2. Add in the sifted flour and mix to form a dough. If the mixture is dry, add in water until you get a pliable dough. Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Lightly flour a working surface, rolling pin and cookie cutter. Roll the dough until it's 0.5 cm thick. Cut dough with a cookie cutter.
Note: I re-rolled my dough 3-4 times. I had no problem with hard cookies.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
As I took them out from my oven, my sister and I engaged in the following conversation:
Sister: Are they cooked? They look so white.
Grub: Yeah they are, why?
Sister: I want them burnt!!
- Transferring the biscuits from baking tray to cooling rack -
Sister: (checks the bottom of the biscuits) Dang! They're not burnt!
What a nice sister...