23 Jan 2010

basic cut out cookies

I've been trying to find the basic cut out cookies I made at school a few years ago. The recipe was so easy, that the teacher didn't give us a handout of the recipe as it was written up on the chalk board. I tried asking a friend from school, but he really helpful as he told me to mix up a bunch of ingredients together without any measurements... When the new school year starts, I'm going to ask for the same recipe :)

As a substitution, I made cut out cookies using HHB's recipe. Hers is much tastier, crunchier and looks better than mine, however takes more time than the one I used at school. I was thinking of frosting these, but I changed my mind. I like it plain and not so sweet.

***
basic cut out cookies
adapted from HHB's pooh and piglet cut out cookies
later edited by me

oven:
150 degrees Celsius
fan forced

ingredients:
makes approximately 35
  • 100 grams unsalted butter
  • 80 grams sugar
    (it's more crunchy that using caster, I think)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 180 grams plain flour, sifted
  • 20 grams corn flour, sifted
  • water, if necessary
method:
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk in the egg yolk and mix well.

2. Add in the sifted flour and mix to form a dough. If the mixture is dry, add in water until you get a pliable dough. Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

3. Lightly flour a working surface, rolling pin and cookie cutter. Roll the dough until it's 0.5 cm thick. Cut dough with a cookie cutter.
Note: I re-rolled my dough 3-4 times. I had no problem with hard cookies.

4. Gently lift the cut out cookies with a flat bladed knife and move to a lined baking tray.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
***
As I took them out from my oven, my sister and I engaged in the following conversation:
Sister: Are they cooked? They look so white.
Grub: Yeah they are, why?
Sister: I want them burnt!!
Grub: ...
- Transferring the biscuits from baking tray to cooling rack -
Sister: (checks the bottom of the biscuits) Dang! They're not burnt!
What a nice sister...