On a mission to eliminate the basket full of evil apples. Every time I do, the baskets seem to refill themselves and on this case the amount doubled! Fortunately one basket was given away :) I still have about 25 apples on hand. Does any one have any good apple recipes? I don't want to become sick of apple pie as well.
golden and crisp *munch munch*
apple pie (puff pastry)
165 degrees Celsius
makes 3 large pastries or 12 mini sized
- 1 lemon
- 6 apples
(2 apples per puff pastry)
- 1/2 cup of sultanas, cooked
(bring to a boil under low heat until sultanas are soft and plump, drain and dry)
- 50 grams unsalted butter
- 30 grams sugar and honey to taste
- 1 Tb of corn flour blended in 1/3 cup water - optional
(if you want a thick and sticky sauce)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3 frozen puff pastry sheets, semi defrosted
- 1 beaten egg
1. Juice the lemon and put juice in a mixing bowl. Peel the apples, cut into 8 wedges and later into thin slices 2-3 mm. Mix the apple with the lemon juice to stop it browning.
2. Melt the butter and sugar in a non stick pan under high heat.
3. When sugar turns brown add the apples and cooked sultanas. Cook the apples until colour changed and apple softens to your preference. Add the cinnamon in the last 2 minutes of cooking. Cool filling.
Note: You can add honey if you want. To make a thick sauce, blend the cornflour and water and pour into apples when the apple browns. Stir to combine.
4. For a large apple pie, fold the pastry in half and cut. For smaller apple pies, divide the pastry into 8 equal pieces. Fold one half of the pastry in half again and make slits in the middle (around 2 cm intervals), making sure to leave a border.
5. Place apple filling in the middle of the pastry and brush egg wash on the sides of the pastry. Unfold the slitted half and place on top of the base. Trim the edges for a neat appearance.
6. Using a fork, press down on the edges to seal the pastry together, Brush with egg wash.
7. Bake until golden brown.