2 Nov 2010

pumpkin + cheese scones

breakfast: pumpkin&cheese scones
Recently, one of my Japanese pen friends asked if I was doing anything for Halloween. I did say I was planning to make pumpkin pudding to "celebrate" Halloween, but exam study caught up so I had to ditch the idea :( There's always next year!
I gave candy to trick-or-treaters, but when I tried to give them more they ran away XD Which reminds me of the time when these two Asian guys told my friends and I to take more freebies at UoM's open day - we bolted!
Because I woke up early on a Melbourne Cup public holiday, I felt like experimenting and baked scones. If you ever make these, you have to eat them straight from the oven or at the very least while they are still warm! They are light and fluffy :)
Back to study. Tomorrow, after my maths exam, I shall make a bonfire and burn recycle all maths related work!!!
***
pumpkin + cheese scones
ingredients:makes 9
  • 1 1/2 cups self raising flour, sifted
  • 50 g cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1/4 cup sultanas (optional)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin, steamed or boiled until soft and roughly mashed
  • milk
  • grated cheese (I used mozzarella)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
method:
  1. Preheat oven to 200°C conventional.
    Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.

  2. Put sifted flour into a bowl, add the butter cubes and rub butter with fingertips until they resemble fine crumbs.

  3. Add sultanas, walnut pieces and a handful of cheese.
    Mix through flour.

  4. Add the mashed pumpkin and using your hands, gently bring together to form a dough.
    If the mixture is dry, add 2 Tb of milk at a time and stir through with a knife to make a soft dough.

  5. Transfer to a lightly floured plate / chopping board and gently knead so the dough comes together.
    Pat dough to approx. 5 cm thick and cut rounds using a floured cutter.
    Gather off cuts and gently press them together and to combine and cut more rounds using a floured cutter.

  6. Place them fairly close on a lined baking tray and top with extra cheese.

  7. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and is golden.