18 Jul 2010

hot chocolate + french toast

breakfast

Breakfast is no doubt my favourite meal of the day. I reckon a good breakfast is a good kick start to the day. Over the years, I have rarely skipped breakfast and over the years, the only thing that hasn't changed is breakfast ALWAYS includes a glass of milk or some other beverage depending on whatever breakfast is.

Today was indifferent.

I suppose today's breakfast of french toast isn't what I would usually eat or make because I wouldn't wake up on rushed weekday to make it and I'd be happy to eat eggs on the weekends every day!

Earliest memory of french toast would be in Malaysia. My uncle would just dip the bread slices in beaten eggs and fry them in a wok full of oil and us, kids would then eat them with sugar. I remember I had six at one time. Good ol' days.

Hot chocolate isn't really my thing, but I'm all in for the marshmallows :)

***

hot chocolate
simple essentials - chocolate by Donna Hay

DSC_2386

If you're going to make it yourself, you might as well have the best, so it's important to use high-quality chocolate. Heat 1 cup (250 ml) milk per person in a small saucepan until it's warmed through and close to boiling. Then add 1 tablespoon grated chocolate for each serving to the saucepan. If you're making for one, you can pour the hot milk directly onto the chocolate in a cup and stir. Serve with marshmallows if desired.

I grated approxiamately 10 g of dark chocolate with 85% cocoa solids and added 1 tsp of kuromitsu into mine. Needs more chocolate :D

***

cinnamon and banana french toast
original recipe by me

ingredients:
serves 1 - 2; egg mixture is enough to coat 3 thick sandwich slices

  • 1 egg
  • 100 ml milk
  • 1 1/2 Tb thick cream
  • 1/4 - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
    (I added 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and the flavour wasn't really there, so I will add more next time)
  • 1 Tb brown sugar
  • 3 thick sandwich slices
  • 1 tsp unsalted butter
  • 1 banana, peeled and sliced or mashed
  • icing sugar and honey

method:

  1. Add egg, milk, cream, ground cinnamon and brown sugar into a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.

  2. Heat a non-stick frying pan and melt the butter. Wipe down the butter with kitchen paper and reserve it for later.

  3. Dip a sandwich in the egg mixture and coat well on both sides.

  4. Pan fry on the first side until golden brown and flip. Cook until the other side is golden.

  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until there is no more egg mixture ensuring you wipe down the non-stick pan with the kitchen paper coated with butter each time you finish one toast.

  6. Layer with sliced / mashed bananas, dust icing sugar on top and serve with honey.

DSC_2392