15 Dec 2009

sardine puff pie

It was another one of my bakes over last week's baking week (where I was crazily baking something every day). Seeing how this can be done with tuna (with a different method) I wanted to see if you could use it for this as well. Another one of my experiments turned out well :)

On a note, my year 12 subjects scores arrived in the mail today. You could say I am happy about my results, so that's all good! I got a better score than I expected for accounting, and I am VERY HAPPY that I don't have to study accounting for the rest of my life...(I hope!)

***

sardine puff pie

oven:
200 degrees Celsius
fan forced

ingredients:
makes 12
  • 1 large can of sardines in tomato sauce (425 g)
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas and corn, defrosted
  • 1/2 cup potatoes (1 cm x 1 cm), boiled and drained
  • 1 onion
  • 3 Tb oil
  • 1/4 cup tomato sauce
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3 sheets of frozen puff pastry
  • 1 egg

method:

1. Pour contents of sardine can in a plate. Remove bones from the sardines and reserve the sauce.

2. Finely dice onion and fry in a heated pan with oil.

3. When the onion browns, add the sardines and break them apart.

4. Add the reserved sauce and tomato sauce and stir to combine. Add the peas, corn and potatoes. Stir to combine.

5. Divide the puff pastry into 8 equal pieces. Place 2 Tb of filling in the centre 4 pieces. Brush edges with beaten egg.

6. Fold the 2 side pieces over the filled pieces. Seal with a fork and brush egg over the tops.

7. Bake in an oven until golden.