8 Jul 2011

coming back for some more

I don't particularly like eating brownies in general. Every time I bake a batch, I end up eating one piece, passing the duty to my brownie-fan sister to polish them off. :) 

These ones were more firm towards the sides becoming dense and gooey in the middle when warm from the oven. Though I felt they were so much sweeter when warm from the oven. Perfect when cooled. 

I liked these ones. I even ate more than one.

***

chocolate coconut brownies

note: play around with the sugar and chocolates. add/reduce sugar depending on the amount and type of chocolate you use

ingredients:
makes a 18x18 cm square tin, I cut them into 6x6 cm squares

  • 120g unsalted butter, melted
  • 170g caster sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 30g dutch cocoa powder
  • 40g plain flour
  • pinch salt
  • 130g milk chocolate, chopped into small bits
  • 50g desiccated coconut, toasted*

* to toast coconut, just pan fry over a medium-low heat, stirring constantly until it is golden. you may want to reduce the heat lower when it starts to turn golden.

method:

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 18x18 cm tin with baking paper.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and sugar. Add the beaten eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. Sift in the cocoa and flour. Add salt and mix. Fold in the chopped chocolates and toasted coconut.

Pour into a prepared tin. Bake approximately 25-35 minutes. Allow to cool in the tin.