I made a few changes to Dupleix's recipe though and made use of what I had at home. The best two moments I had when making this when I got the flavour I wanted for the vinegar in one shot I was literally laughing when I tasted it and of course, eating the finished product :P
Make sure to add the picked carrots with the rice bowl. The flavour is awesome!
pickled carrots my style
original recipe by me
makes 2 sides serving
- Peel the carrot and julienne using a grater or knife. Sprinkle with salt and leave for 10 minutes. Rinse the carrots and squeeze dry. Leave aside.
- Put the mirin, vinegar, sake and sugar into a small saucepan. Dissolve the sugar and bring to a brief boil. Add the carrots and turn off heat.
- Leave carrots to soak in the liquid for a few hours to get rid of the raw carrot taste.
- Refrigerate after liquids have cooled.
stir fried beef with onions and bok choy leaves
slightly adapted from Jill Dupleix - Bibimbap with beef and onions
- Before making this, cook 1 cup of rice per two people using a rice cooker.
- 100 g sliced beef
(marinated in salt, pepper, drizzle of sesame oil, 1 tsp oyster sauce, 1/2 tsp corn starch, 1 tsp vegetable oil)
- 1/4 of a large onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, diced finely
- 1/2 Tb raw sugar
- 1/2 Tb la dou ban jiang (辣豆瓣酱)
(I substituted kochujang with la dou ban jiang)
- 1 Tb soy sauce
- Bok choy leaves from 1 bok choy, washed and cut into squares
(reserve the stems for something else)
- vegetable oil for stir frying
2. Heat a small wok and coat with oil. Pour the excess in a bowl. Add the marinated beef and onions and quickly stir. When the beef is half cooked, add the bok choy leaves and stir again. Cover for 1 minute or until bok choy leaves are wilted. Stir and turn off heat.
- cooked rice
- stir fried beef with onions and bok choy leaves
- 1 raw egg yolk
Fill a bowl with the amount of rice you will be eating, top with beef and egg yolk. Add picked carrots and stir with chopsticks or with a spoon. YUMMY!
If you are wondering why there are corn kernels in the rice, I added them in when I cooked the rice.