28 Sept 2009

crunchy honeycomb cookies

ABC pasta is oh so useful!

First day of the holidays in which I can stay at home doing whatever! YAY! Since work is done, this week will be focused on completing homework and studying for the upcoming year 12 exams I am going to undertake. A bit scary how time flies! Nearly time for the Chinese oral exam and I have not studied at all. Teacher hasn't contacted me about doing a prac and the SAC...so I'm not sure. But I don't want to do it after the actual exam, since it would be pointless. And even more pointless since I haven't done any pracs with the teacher.

I thought about finishing my Japanese and business homework, but since it's only a little bit, I decided to procrastinate and bake something instead. I flicked through my new cake recipe book and decided not to bake a cake but rather bake cookies. After all baking in the daylight is way better than baking in the evening; make use of the natural light for photos :D

A bit too early for the Christmas spirit...I bet Sars would be happy!
I'm not too much of a cookie fanatic, as I can't really bake them. But then my aunty asked me to bake a few varieties of cookies and wrap them (since she can't be bothered buying chocolates for her customers). I didn't really agree to this, but I guess I have no choice now but to practise.
I was going to bake chocolate chip cookies, but my supply of chocolate chips are low so I substituted them with Violet Crumble. My mum bought a family pack from Safeway yesterday so I decided to bash the hell out of it (which resulted in a huge hole).
I wasn't quite sure about using Violet Crumble but cooking is an experiment right? As long as it turns out good, then its OK :)
***
crunchy honeycomb cookies
oven:
150 degrees Celsius
fan forced
ingredients:
makes 21 cookies
  • 70 grams unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 Tb honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 3/4 cup self-raising flour, sifted
  • 100 grams Violet Crumble (honeycomb like substance coated in chocolate)
    about 8 pieces from the family pack
method:
1. Cream the butter and sugars until light and creamy. Make sure sugar is dissolved into the butter.
2. Add an egg yolk, honey and vanilla essence and beat to combine.
3. Fold in the sifted flour into the creamed mixture. Stir well to combine.
4. Put the Violet Crumble pieces in a bag and using a rolling pin, roughly break the chocolate into small pieces.
5. Mix the crushed chocolate into the cookie mix and stir to form a dough.
Note: The dough is moist but crumbly.
6. Shape 1 Tb of mixture into small balls and flatten them on a tray lined with baking paper.

7. Bake for about 12 minutes or until cooked and golden.
Note: Cookies are very soft when out of the oven, but become firm upon cooling.
***
When the cookies first cooled, they were half crunchy and half chewy, but upon further cooling, it turned crunchy.Well Eira, Heolin and Thangstahh (names in alphabetical order!) get to taste test some tomorrow, since I will be seeing them tomorrow. Haha enough guinea pigs ;)

It took me four matches just to light this small candle. So noob XD