5 Jun 2012

burger time


There was one time last year, that I made beef burgers for dinner once a week. I think it went on for about a month or so before I stopped since Dad was rather sick of eating burgers again. I haven't made a beef burger since then. At home, we usually eat chicken patties with rice for dinner around once a fortnight, it's tasty, but I think we've been eating the same thing for far too long.

After seeing Mama-san's take on the teriyaki burger, I immediately thought of the first ever beef ramly burger I had earlier in the year. I still can't believe I've never tried it before until I read about it in Sherie's post. We're not allowed to consume beef at my grandma's, so I was pretty ecstatic to eat beef (even though I couldn't tell if it was beef or mystery meat). 

I liked how the awesome teppanyaki ramly burger guy toasted the buns and used that method instead of toasting them in the oven. And as usual I have to have a fried egg (with a runny yolk!) in the burger. Plus and minus some ingredients in the family patty recipe and it was good to go. Inspirations come a long way.


Teriyaki chicken burgers inspired by mama-san and ramly burger guy
adapted from my parent's legendary chicken patties; serves 6 - 8

Sauce
50ml mirin, sake & light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 Tb yellow-box honey / sugar

Bring to the boil and simmer until thickened and reduced by one-third, stirring occasionally. Set aside and leave to cool.

Burger patties
500 - 600g chicken mince
half a bunch of spring onions, sliced thinly
1 onion, finely diced
1 egg
sea salt and white pepper, to season

Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. Take the meat out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking.

Shape meat into thick patties*. To cook, heat a frying pan and drizzle with a few tablespoons of oil, add the meat patty and cook until golden brown. Flip the patty, reduce to a low heat and cover, whilst you toast buns and fry eggs in another pan. 

When the bottom side is golden brown and the patty is firm, spoon a couple of teaspoons of sauce onto the patty and cook until shiny and well coated**. Flip and repeat for the other side.

Sprinkle patty with shichimi togarashi and drizzle mayonnaise over. Top with a fried egg and serve with shredded lettuce and tomato slices.

* If you want, but I just scoop meat into the pan and shape it while it's cooking
** You will want them to be slightly bigger than your burger bun because they will shrink when cooking
*** If you don't want to add the teriyaki sauce, then it's ok. Say hello to cheese and your favourite burger sauce!






















Well, maybe the runny egg yolk wasn't such a good idea after all....