adapted from Cooking Guide DS
later edited by me
- 300 g potatoes
- 200 g carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 slices bacon (the long types - fat removed)
- 15 g butter
- 800 mL fresh chicken stock
(put way more than this but don't have the actual measurements)
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 bay leaf
- nutmeg powder (as required)
- Peel the potatoes and dice into 1 cm cubes. (Leave to soak in water or it will oxidise)
Peel the carrots and dice into 1 cm cubes.
Peel the onion and dice finely.
Cut bacon into 1 cm squares.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over moderate heat.
Add onion and fry until transparent.
Add the carrot and fry until tender.
Add potato and bacon and lightly fry them.
- Add the stock to the fried ingredients and add the bay leaf.
- Put the lid on and bring soup to the boil before turning to a low heat and simmering for approximately 20 - 30 minutes (or until vegetables are soft).
Whilst the soup is boiling, remove the foam and oil from the surface for a clearer coloured soup.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Turn off heat.
Well didn't have any bay leaves or nutmeg powder so had to leave them out. Hopefully will attempt frikadellen - german meatball patties next Sunday :)