16 Jan 2013

snow capped



With a forecasted 39 degree day for tomorrow, these cookies offer me some form of escapism to the snow mountains. Heh.

Although I'm not much of a cookie eater, these small morsels are strangely addictive. With a lot of my favourite ingredients, it's not surprising I almost ate half the batch in one sitting(!)

My sister thinks they're made with Milo, nutella and chocolate, whilst my mother tells me not to snow cap them for next time.

▲ ▲ ▲

Chocolate & cranberry snowball cookies   makes 20
adapted from here, flavour combination inspired by my friend, Sarah

40g walnuts or pecans (or 20g each)
80g plain flour, sifted
5g dutch process cocoa, sifted
40g caster sugar
30g dark chocolate, chopped
20g dried cranberries
pinch of sea salt
65g unsalted butter, melted
pure icing sugar, as required (optional)

Roast nuts at 150 degrees celcius for 10 minutes, giving them a stir after 5 minutes. Cool completely, then blitz in a food processor until fine. It's okay to have small bits and pieces.

Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper and preheat oven to 165 degrees celcius.

Combine nuts and everything except for the butter and icing sugar in a mixing bowl. Add melted butter and stir forming a dough. Make 20 small balls and place on the baking tray.

Bake for 15 minutes. 

When cool, dust with icing sugar just before serving (as it'll melt and make the cookies moist and sticky if you do it too early).