13 Oct 2012

turtle shells!

I finally did it - made my own turtles (they are called ang ku kuih but I called them turtles because their shape resembles a turtle's shell)! I usually have a couple for breakfast if my grandma and mum go to Pudu market in the morning. We have an old wooden mould which my grandma passed down to my mum, but I've never seen it in action, so I decided to put it into some good use.

The recipe I used was from Nasi Lemak Lover and Reese Kitchen.

They are simple to make but pretty time consuming. Of the filling made, I still have half left, so I will be making this again.

***

My adaptions:

Soaked mung beans for 1 1/2 hours and steamed it for 50 minutes (Although I think it was done at 30-35 minutes mark). Be wary to add more hot water as you are steaming!

Water for the glutinous rice dough was not measured. Did it the agak-agak (to estimate) way.

15g mung bean ball, 40g sweet potato glutinous rice ball.

Instead of greasing the wooden mould, I dusted it with glutinous rice flour and knocked the excess out.

Place unsteamed kuih on greased foil. Greasing baking paper does not work, the base will stick to the paper.

After steaming brush the kuih with some vegetable oil to prevent it from sticking/drying.

Made 15 turtles and 1 super mini one.