18 Feb 2012

this one's a keeper!























Lalarhs* requested to come over to study the properties of a cake in the making (and most importantly taste the experiment!). I selected a simple butter cake; a recipe given to me by one of my grandma's good friends that has been used for many years. The piece of lined paper ripped out from an old exercise book is gradually becoming more yellow each year, but the black ink is ever so strong.

It is certainly not a sophisticated cake and I am sure every household has their own version of butter cake. But perhaps adding a little something and a light dusting of icing sugar can make it a wee bit special. The one we made had the rind and juice of a lemon, lime and orange. And just because I had some poppy seeds, in went one heaped tablespoon. 

Another tried an tested variation is to finely ground one tablespoon of your favourite loose leaf tea (Assam for me) into powder and fold in with the sifted flour and powder. Mrs. Roddick and I took turns grinding the leaves in a pestle and mortar late last year. It took us a while, but it was well worth it. Serve with ice cream!

*P.S. If you are reading, thanks for stopping to eat to be my free hand model! (・ω・)